Stellenbosch University 2 Postdoctoral Positions on Pathogen Genomics, Cape Town
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Stellenbosch University is seeking to appoint two molecular biologists with great potential and ambition to become leading scientists. These two positions will work with some of the best pathogen and bioinformatics genomics program in the world, which is currently focused on the COVID-19 response. These full-time contract positions are offered for a period of up to three years.
As part of the team the fellows will get hands-on experience in the generation of high-throughput genomic data using Illumina and Oxford Nanopore Technologies (ONT) sequencers. They will be mentored by leading scientists and clinicians in the field. They will be associated with Prof. Tulio de Oliveira new research group at Stellenbosch, who commonly publish in some of the top biomedical journals (i.e. Science, Nature, Lancet and NEJM) and who have access to high quality data from large clinic and population-based cohorts as part of collaborative clinical and epidemiological networks in South Africa and Africa.
Postdoctoral Fellows will be awarded a well-paid tax-free fellowship for up to 3 years. Once appointed, the successful candidates will be supported to apply for externally funded personal fellowships and grants. The positions are based at the state-of-the art facilities at the Tygerberg Medical School.
Host: Prof Tulio de Oliveira, School for Data Science and Computational Thinking and Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University.
Minimum requirements for position
• PhD in Biological Sciences or a related subject
• General molecular biology experience at PhD and/or MSc level
• Significant experience in contemporary high-throughput sequencing technologies such as Illumina NGS and/or Oxford Nanopore Technology.
• Experience in publishing in ISI peer reviewed journal articles
• Experience working with viral and/or bacterial pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2, HIV, TB, HCV, HBV.
• Laboratory information management systems
• Sanger sequencing and Next Generation Sequencing
• Bioinformatics sequence analysis (e.g. Geneious)
• Producing and evaluating QA and SOPs
• Strong project management skills
Please note that postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees and their fellowships are awarded tax free. They are therefore not eligible for employee benefits.
Commencement of duties: as soon as possible
Closing date: 6 August 2021
Application process: Send a letter of application, accompanied by a comprehensive curriculum vitae, including list of publications, link to the candidate’s PhD thesis, a motivation letter that speaks to the specific requirements of the position and the names and contact details of two referees, to Prof Tulio de Oliveira, email@example.com and Ms Latashe Poole, firstname.lastname@example.org
News date: 2021-07-30